Monuments and Memorials

Within the park, east to west

Marine Flagstaff

Dedicated: ca. 1955
Description: Flagstaff with yard arm; commemorates marine history of The Battery. Aluminum.







East Coast Memorial

Dedicated: 1961
Description: Eagle on pedestal between two ranks of 4 inscribed pylons, aligned with Statue of Liberty.
Donor/Source: ABMC
Fabricator/Sculptor:Albino Manca

To find a loved one memorialized here, visit the American Battlefield Monuments Commission website.


The Immigrants

Dedicated: 1983 (cast 1973)
Description: Group (heroic scale) on base, commemorates Immigrant Landing Depot at Castle Clinton, representing different ethnic groups.
Donor/Source: Samuel and May Rudin, Rudin Management Company
Fabricator/Sculptor:Luis Sanguino; Architect: Frank Luzi; Fabricator: A. Ottavino Corp (base)


Admiral George Dewey Memorial

Dedicated: 1973
Description: Plaque with two relief medallions on plinth; portraits of Dewey and salior figure. Bronze, granite. Commemorates Spanish-American War victory at Manila Bay.
Donor/Source: 18 civic, veterans’ and historical associations, under auspices of American Battle Monument Commission
Fabricator/Sculptor:Daniel Chester French




Emma Lazarus Memorial

Dedicated: 1955
Description: SoL poet; plaque on plinth; lead capsule in foundation contains list of 402 contributors; bronze and limestone.
Donor/Source:Federation of Jewish Women’ Organizations, Inc.


Norwegian Maritime Monument

Dedicated: October 21, 1982
Description: Small boulder with incised anchor motif, atop large inscribed boulder, inscribed marker, WW2 memorial.
Donor/Source: Norwegian war veterans
Fabricator/Sculptor:A. Ottavino Corp



The Sphere (Temporary)

Dedicated: March 11, 2002
Description: Temporary Installation of artwork salvaged from WTC Disaster Site. 25’ high sphere stood in the WTC Plaza as a monument to world peace from 1971 to September 11, 2001.
Donor/Source: City of New York
Fabricator/Sculptor:Fritz Koenig





New York Korean War Veterans Memorial

Dedicated: June 25, 1991
Description: Obelisk with cutout in shape of soldier on base with mosaic, two plaques on two markers in circular plaza.
Donor/Source: NY Korean Veterans Memorial Commission; Muncipal Art
Fabricator/Sculptor:Mac Adams






American Merchant Mariners’ Memorial

Dedicated: October 8, 1991
Description: Depicts merchant mariners in a sinking lifeboat; dedicated to merchant mariners lost at sea. Plaque on base.
Donor/Source: American Merchant Marine Memorial, Inc. c/o Joan Samsen Assoc.
Fabricator/Sculptor:Marisol Escobar

Giovanni da Verrazzano

Dedicated: October 6, 1909
Description: Italian explorer; half figure and standing figure (both heroic scale) on pedestal. Donor/Source: Charles Barsotti organized public subscription Fabricator/Sculptor: Ettore Ximenes

Restoration is expected to be complete by July 2015







Jerusalem Grove

Dedicated: July 8, 1976
Description: Grove of 11 Blue Atlas Cedars (Cedrus atlantica ’Glauca’) with inscribed horizontal marker.
Donor/Source:City of Jersualem


Along Battery Place, south to north

Peter Caesar Alberti Marker

Dedicated: 1959/1985
Description: Italian American explorer; originally bronze plaque on granite (stolen); now granite marker on plinth.
Donor/Source: Original–Italian Historical Society of America (stolen)
Fabricator/Sculptor:A. Ottavino Corp.


Walloon Settlers Memorial

Dedicated: May 20, 1924
Description: Stele with exedra; carved in Belgium by Walloons (came to NY in 1624)
Donor/Source: Conseil Provincial du Hainaut (Belgium)
Fabricator/Sculptor:Henry Bacon





Salvation Army Memorial

Dedicated: 1952
Description: Stele on plinth, plaque; commemorates arrival of first SA unit in NYC (1880), replaces 1927 original (stolen 1942).
Donor/Source: Salvation Army
Fabricator/Sculptor:J.V. & R.V. Lamb




Battery Place and State Street

Netherland Memorial

Dedicated: December 6, 1926
Description: Sculpted flagstaff pedestal, presented by Dutch people to NYC. Granite, bronze.
Donor/Source: People of Netherlands
Fabricator/Sculptor:H.A. Van den Eyden

See the installation of the new flagpole here.





Along State Street, west to east

(currently being restored; all accessible by Fall 2017)

Fort George Memorial

Dedicated: 1817
Description: Tablet marking SW bastion; disappeared and rediscovered twice. White Vermont marble.
Donor/Source:Corporation of the City of New York



Battery Cannon

Dedicated: 1914
Description: Cannon on base, plaque. Dates from Revolutionary War.
Donor/Source: William Henry Mairs; placed by Children of the City History Club
Fabricator/Sculptor:J.V. & R.V. Lamb


John Ericsson Statue

Dedicated: 1902; replaced original of 1893
Description: Statue (heroic scale) of Swedish scientist and businessman on integral plinth; pedestal with four recessed relief plaques (recast, 1951/2).
Donor/Source: State of New York
Fabricator/Sculptor:Jonathan Scott Hartley; Architect of new pedestal (1951/2): Frank E. Wallis







Wireless Operators Memorial

Dedicated: April 15, 1915
Description: Inscribed cenotaph with three large plaques, one medium plaque, and seven small plaques; Fountain; two benches.
Donor/Source: Veteran Wireless Operators Association
Fabricator/Sculptor:Edward S. Hewitt & William L. Bottomley


John Wolfe Ambrose Memorial

Dedicated: June 1, 1936
Description: Stele with bust; portrait sculpture of the Irish–American scientist and writer.
Donor/Source: Mrs. George F. Shrady, daughter
Fabricator/Sculptor:Bust: Andrew O–Connor, Jr.; pedestal relief: Frederick George Richard Roth. Architect: Aymar Embury II







South Street

Coast Guard Memorial

Dedicated: 1955 (created 1947)
Description: Group of three figures (heroic scale), integral plinth, pedestal; bronze and granite. WW2.
Donor/Source: United States Coast Guard
Fabricator/Sculptor:Norman M. Thomas