Bus: M5, M15, M15 SelectBusService, M20 to South Ferry
From the West Side: Take the West Side Highway / West Street south to the Battery Place exit.
This is the last exit before the Battery Tunnel underpass. See map for area parking garages.
From the East Side: Take the FDR Drive south to Exit 1 – Whitehall street.
Immediately after the exit, a parking garage is available at 1 New York Plaza.
For information on travel to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, visit Statue Cruises.
Pedestrians can enter the park at
- Pier A Plaza, at West Street & Battery Place
- State Street just east of Broadway, by the IRT headhouse (station entrance serving the #4 and #5 subway lines)
- State Street & Water Street
- South Street, by the Whitehall Terminal (serving the Staten Island Ferry)
Once in The Battery:
Download a map of The Battery here to help you find your way as you roam the gardens.
Visiting with your Dog
The Battery, with more than six million annual visitors, is the most frequented park per square foot in New York City, and we are glad that dogs are amongst our visitors. Our goal is to sustain our City’s first waterfront park (1693) for the enjoyment of all. The Battery strictly adheres to all City and State Park dog policies and is governed by the following rules:
- Dogs must be on leash and on asphalt paths at all times. State law requires dogs to be on leashes (at most 6 feet) in all public spaces at all times.
- Dog waste must be disposed of in containers provided throughout the Park.
- Dogs may not drink from Park fountains (special dog fountains soon to be provided).
- Dogs are not permitted in the gardens, the lawns, or the playground.
For a full list of City regulations, please see http://www.nycgovparks.org.