The Battery | Monuments
2227
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-2227,page-parent,page-child,parent-pageid-11692,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-10.0,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.2,vc_responsive
 

MONUMENTS & MEMORIALS

Castle Clinton National Monument

history1

history2

history3

history4

history5

history6

history7

history8

history9

history10

history11

history12

history13

history14

history15

The Battery’s major landmark, Castle Clinton National Monument has played many roles in the history of New York for over 200 years. Owned and administered by the National Park Service, it is the centerpiece of the Conservancy’s revitalization efforts.

 

There is no better example of historic adaptive reuse than Castle Clinton/Castle Garden. Enriched by all of its past roles in history, it now has the potential to welcome, educate, and inspire visitors about The Battery’s history and to become a hub to orient visitors to the constellation of attractions in Lower Manhattan, the Harbor and the Hudson.

Castle Clinton was built in anticipation of the War of 1812. A decade later it was renamed Castle Garden and was transformed into the City’s premier cultural center. By 1855, successive landfills had enlarged the Park to encompass Castle Garden and the structure became America’s first immigrant receiving center, welcoming 8.5 million people before it was succeeded by Ellis Island. In 1896, the Castle was transformed into the beloved New York Aquarium, one of the nation’s first public aquariums.

 

Following its near–total demolition in 1941 and a major preservation battle, the original fort walls were declared a National Monument by an Act of Congress in 1946. Restored to its fortification appearance by the National Park Service in 1975, the Castle currently houses a small interpretive display and the ticket office for the Statue of Liberty – Ellis Island ferry.

 

The historical records used by Castlegarden.org are held by and available for research at the U. S. National Archives and Records Administration, New York City.

Netherland Memorial

 

Dedicated: December 6, 1926
Description: Sculpted flagstaff pedestal, presented by Dutch people to NYC. Granite, bronze.
Donor/Source: People of Netherlands
Fabricator/Sculptor: H.A. Van den Eyden

Fort George Memorial

 

Dedicated: 1817
Description: Tablet marking SW bastion; disappeared and rediscovered twice. White Vermont marble.
Donor/Source: Corporation of the City of New York

John Ericsson Statue

 

Dedicated: 1902; replaced original of 1893
Description: Statue (heroic scale) of Swedish scientist and businessman on integral plinth; pedestal with four recessed relief plaques (recast, 1951/2).
Donor/Source: State of New York
Fabricator/Sculptor: Jonathan Scott Hartley; Architect of new pedestal (1951/2): Frank E. Wallis

Jerusalem Grove

 

Dedicated: July 8, 1976
Description: Grove of 11 Blue Atlas Cedars (Cedrus atlantica ’Glauca’) with inscribed horizontal marker.
Donor/Source: City of Jersualem

Battery Cannon

 

Dedicated: 1914
Description: Cannon on base, plaque. Dates from Revolutionary War.
Donor/Source: William Henry Mairs; placed by Children of the City History Club
Fabricator/Sculptor: J.V. & R.V. Lamb

New York Korean War Veterans Memorial

 

Dedicated: June 25, 1991
Description: Obelisk with cutout in shape of soldier on base with mosaic, two plaques on two markers in circular plaza.
Donor/Source: NY Korean Veterans Memorial Commission; Muncipal Art
Fabricator/Sculptor: Mac Adams

Walloon Settlers Memorial

 

Dedicated: May 20, 1924
Description: Stele with exedra; carved in Belgium by Walloons (came to NY in 1624)
Donor/Source: Conseil Provincial du Hainaut (Belgium)
Fabricator/Sculptor: Henry Bacon

The Immigrants

 

Dedicated: 1983 (cast 1973)
Description: Group (heroic scale) on base, commemorates Immigrant Landing Depot at Castle Clinton, representing different ethnic groups.
Donor/Source: Samuel and May Rudin, Rudin Management Company
Fabricator/Sculptor: Luis Sanguino; Architect: Frank Luzi; Fabricator: A. Ottavino Corp (base)

Emma Lazarus Memorial

 

Dedicated: 1955
Description: SoL poet; plaque on plinth; lead capsule in foundation contains list of 402 contributors; bronze and limestone.
Donor/Source: Federation of Jewish Women’ Organizations, Inc.

Salvation Army Memorial

 

Dedicated: 1952
Description: Stele on plinth, plaque; commemorates arrival of first SA unit in NYC (1880), replaces 1927 original (stolen 1942).
Donor/Source: Salvation Army
Fabricator/Sculptor: J.V. & R.V. Lamb

Norwegian Maritime Monument

 

Dedicated: October 21, 1982
Description: Small boulder with incised anchor motif, atop large inscribed boulder, inscribed marker, WW2 memorial.
Donor/Source: Norwegian war veterans
Fabricator/Sculptor: A. Ottavino Corp

Admiral George Dewey Memorial

 

Dedicated: 1973
Description: Plaque with two relief medallions on plinth; portraits of Dewey and salior figure. Bronze, granite. Commemorates Spanish-American War victory at Manila Bay.
Donor/Source: 18 civic, veterans’ and historical associations, under auspices of American Battle Monument Commission
Fabricator/Sculptor: Daniel Chester French

Coast Guard Memorial

 

Dedicated: 1955 (created 1947)
Description: Group of three figures (heroic scale), integral plinth, pedestal; bronze and granite. WW2.
Donor/Source: United States Coast Guard
Fabricator/Sculptor: Norman M. Thomas

East Coast Memorial

 

Dedicated: 1952
Description: Stele on plinth, plaque; commemorates arrival of first SA unit in NYC (1880), replaces 1927 original (stolen 1942).
Donor/Source: Salvation Army
Fabricator/Sculptor: J.V. & R.V. Lamb

John Wolfe Ambrose Memorial

 

Dedicated: June 1, 1936
Description: Stele with bust; portrait sculpture of the Irish–American scientist and writer.
Donor/Source: Mrs. George F. Shrady, daughter
Fabricator/Sculptor: Bust: Andrew O–Connor, Jr.; pedestal relief: Frederick George Richard Roth. Architect: Aymar Embury II

Marine Flagstaff

 

Dedicated: ca. 1955
Description: Flagstaff with yard arm; commemorates marine history of Battery Park. Aluminum.

Wireless Operators Memorial

 

Dedicated: April 15, 1915
Description: Inscribed cenotaph with three large plaques, one medium plaque, and seven small plaques; Fountain; two benches.
Donor/Source: Veteran Wireless Operators Association
Fabricator/Sculptor: Edward S. Hewitt & William L. Bottomley

American Merchant Mariners’ Memorial

 

Dedicated: October 8, 1991
Description: Depicts merchant mariners in a sinking lifeboat; dedicated to merchant mariners lost at sea. Plaque on base.
Donor/Source: American Merchant Marine Memorial, Inc. c/o Joan Samsen Assoc.
Fabricator/Sculptor: Marisol Escobar

Peter Caesar Alberti Marker

 

Dedicated: 1959/1985
Description: Italian American explorer; originally bronze plaque on granite (stolen); now granite marker on plinth.
Donor/Source: Original–Italian Historical Society of America (stolen)
Fabricator/Sculptor: A. Ottavino Corp.

Giovanni da Verrazzano

 

Dedicated: October 6, 1909
Description: Italian explorer; half figure and standing figure (both heroic scale) on pedestal. Donor/Source: Charles Barsotti organized public subscription
Fabricator/Sculptor: Ettore Ximenes